I have never been a breakfast person, but I am coming around! I definitely didn’t like cereal, mainly because of the milk…but now I have discovered that almond milk on toasted granola is delicious, especially when covered in fresh fruit!
I have created my own take on granola, and I thought I’d share. This is my ‘a-little-bit-of-everything’ toasted granola! It is gluten free, and can be adjusted to differing tolerance levels for low FODMAP diets (adjust or remove the amounts of nuts and dried fruit to suit). I hope you enjoy!
3/4 cup buckwheat groats
3/4 cup quinoa
1/4 – 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/4 – 1/2 cups pepitas
1/4 – 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 – 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chia seeds
2-3 tablespoons LSA
2-3 tablespoons quinoa flakes
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 tablespoons cacao
1/3 cup almond butter
1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 pinch of salt
These ingredients are a guide for you. I made this combination because it has all my favourite things that I can usually find in my cupboard. If you prefer more simple granola, or you don’t like one or two of the ingredients, or you think I’ve missed something tasty, then just go ahead and adjust! This is not like a cake – it won’t implode or turn into a rock! I love this combination – every mouthful has so much yumminess and texture! And some bits clump together, so you get these extra amazing clusters (great for stealing straight from the jar!).
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Combine the base ingredients in a large bowl
- In a saucepan, add the coating ingredients over a low heat and stir for a few minutes until they have melted and combined
- Pour the mixture over the base ingredients and stir well
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper (you may need two)
- Spread the mix evenly over the pan
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove and stir the ingredients around the tray, and then put in the oven for another 5 – 8 minutes and remove. Keep an eye on it – it can start to burn quite easily.
- Let the granola cool and store in an airtight container. Now you have something delicious and packed with goodness for days and days!