I am always trying to create yummy and healthy breakfasts or snacks, particularly in the form that can be reached for with no effort, and can keep well in the freezer for emergencies. These fit the bill! They are even yummy enough to pass as a dessert!
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins):
3 chia eggs (3 tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in 6 tablespoons of water for at least 15 minutes)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 – 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
12 teaspoons of desired jam or nut butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Prepare a muffin tin. Grease or line with cupcake papers.
- In a food processor, blend together all ingredients, except the jam or but butter, until smooth and well combined.
- Pour in enough of the mix to line the base of each cupcake paper.
- Put 1 teaspoon of jam or nut butter onto base.
- Layer more of the mix on top so that the filling is covered.
- If desired, you can drizzle a little extra maple syrup over the top, or cinnamon powder.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until firm and golden.
- Serve with fresh fruit, a splash of maple syrup, a scoop of banana nice-cream or coconut ice-cream, or all by its-delicious-self!
*This recipe can work well with chia seeds or ground chia; the latter giving a smoother texture to the finished product.
*I used strawberry jam in 6 muffins, and cacao, coconut and almond butter in the other 6. You could also put 1-2 berries in the middle, or a chunk of chocolate, a slice of banana or pineapple, or nuts…whatever takes your fancy!