Berry Oat Wondie Bars (yep wondie, not wonder!)
5 cups gluten-free oats
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 cup maple syrup*
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups mixed berries
1/4 cup corn flour or arrowroot powder
(*to make it lower in fructose, I replaced the maple syrup with brown rice syrup.)
1. Place 2 cups of the oats in a food processor and pulse until the oats resemble fine oats bran. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
3. In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the reserved oat flour, the remaining 3 cups oats, and the brown rice syrup, 1/4 cup of the maple syrup, olive oil, salt and vanilla until thoroughly combined, about 3 minutes.
4. Firmly press two-thirds of the dough onto a 9 by 12 inch baking sheet. Bake until light brown, about 15 minutes.
5. While the dough is baking, combine the berries, corn flour, and the remaining 1/4 cup of the maple syrup is a medium bowl.
6. Evenly distribute the berry mixture over the baked oat crust. Crumble the remaining one third of the dough over the berries, pressing it down firmly. Bake until a golden crust forms, about 40 minutes.