My craving for chocolate chip cookies has persisted this week, so I made these sweet treats. They are super quick and easy, and of course, a healthy choice for a treat!
I eat whole quinoa and quinoa flakes every day in my diet. I have been keen to try quinoa flour, so decided to try it out in this recipe. It turned these cookies, with help from the dark chocolate, into quite an adult, bitter flavour, which I like. If you are looking for a softer, more sweet flavour, try milk chocolate, or substitute the flour for almond flour. Having fructose malabsorption, I was keen to try quinoa flour as I tolerate quinoa well, and although I do tolerate almond meal/flour well, I am always wary of eating nut products as I don’t tolerate some very well, such as almond milk. Quinoa is a powerhouse of nutrients and protein, and is such a great way to turn a sweet treat into a healthy snack.
Choc chip quinoa cookies
325g quinoa flour 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
125ml vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
125ml rice syrup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients, and mix well.
- Form the mixture into balls and place onto the baking tray. Lightly flatten the balls.
- Bake in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Whip these up and you will be eating fresh cookies within half an hour! Enjoy!